Join the Critters critique circle
Sign up for David Farland's writing tips
Publishing Services Company
7 Easy Online Marketing Methods
Sometimes the marketing avenues open to us are so obvious that they’re easy to overlook.
1. All authors should have a personal author website. If you can’t afford to pay a designer to build one for you, there are many free website options online that you can choose from, many of which require no design knowledge.
2. If you have an author website or an author profile up anywhere, link to it from as many places as possible. For example, if you’re a member of any forum, add your website link to your auto signature (check the forum rules first; some don’t allow this) – this way, every time you make a post, you will have automatically created another link to your personal website and another opportunity for random browsers to find you. You can also add your website link to most profiles and post links to it on various networks such as Twitter or Facebook.
3. Join a press release website, write your own press releases and submit them. If you aren’t sure how to structure a press release, please feel free to use our free template.
4. Join a website like HARO (Help a Reporter) to help get your name out there (the Smashwords Book Marketing Guide speaks about this in more detail).
5. Interview and write reviews for other authors – if someone finds your review interesting, they might want to know more about the reviewer, and you could gain readers that way.
6. If you read or watch something online, take the time to click ‘like’ or ‘tweet this’, etc. – this provides another link to your Facebook or Twitter profiles, for example.
7. Keep in regular contact with other authors – some of their fans could end up reading your work, too. Remember, writing isn’t like other professions where you’re in competition with other writers. Instead, we’re in a unique position where helping each other is, in fact, helping ourselves too. I’ve never heard of a reader who stops reading one author just because they found another author they like.
Press Release Template
Writing a Book Review
Submit a free book